Monday, April 26, 2010

Unloaded groceries for God... check.

They say confession is good for the soul, so here goes.
I was born with a martyr complex.

YUK!!!! OK, there, I said it! It's out... and now you all know.

So now that I have said it to you, know that I have first confessed this to my Best Friend and Father, and turned that part of my yukky internal stuff over to His tender care... long ago. Lo and behold, because He is amazing- slowly over time that part of me has changed and I am SO THANKFUL!!!!!

I was created as an introvert.. and part of the stuff that comes along with that personality is that I am hesistant to do things I don't want to do.. and have ( or had) a tendency toward a critical and judgemental nature - but because I am timid, I found it hard to speak out about such things. Therefore, they would stay in my heart and flourish as weeds and bitter root- until I surrendered that stuff to Christ ,a while back. The Lord who heals ( Exodus 15:26) does so in His way and timing.. and slowly but surely once I gave Him control of my personality and temperament- He went to work. I praise Him for that! I have a long way to go... but at least He has me on the bus with Him!!!

My outlook has slowly changed toward my family as well... and yesterday this was made apparent as I unloaded groceries ( again) with most of my family inside doing what they do on Sunday afternoons, reading, napping, playing games - ( I had already had a nap and was ready to move on with the day.) This has happened before and sometimes it is enough to send me into orbit... but yesterday something came over me as I lifted the back to the van. Wanna know what it was?

I heard God. Yep, He talked to me really loud and it was scripture that I heard.

"Whatever you are doing, whether word or action, do it for Me, thanking me all the while." ( Col 3:17).

HOLY MOLY. Now here is the thing. I looked at the full load of stuff I needed to carry in... it was hot and humid yesterday, my back was hurting... ( yadda yadda) and I didn't WANT to.

But, God. He was there and I closed my eyes and thought about taking Him a box of cereal and a gallon of milk. What if I was bringing those things into Him as a love offering? Would I be upset ?? Or just filled with thankfulness and joy?

My entire attitude changed, and all at once I thanked Him for the groceries, thanked Him for the heat and humidity and dirty van and my napping babies and husband and even my surly teenager playing a game on his video thing that I don't really like. Thank You Jesus for loving me so much. Here's Your Honey Nut Cheerios and milk. And here is me having a joyful happy thankful grateful surrendered heart that loves my God and would do whatever He wants.

I love bringing in the groceries.

:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great perspective! I always remind my kids to do their schoolwork as unto the Lord. Hasn't completely sunk in, but they're gonna hear it until it does sink in.