Friday, February 19, 2010

Blogback-

Is that a word? If it isn't, I just coined it. Back in the blogging business...

It is interesting to me that the first blog I posted here in 2007 was on 2 Peter. The devotion is from the next book, 1 John. Crazy coincidence? Nahhh....

SO, here is the first part of the new old blog..

On living deeply-

I have been neck-deep in some awesome things lately. Do you ever go through phases like that? It seems that in my own life , I go through dry, thirsty phases where it’s the same routine…. I know God is working things out but it either vaguely makes me aware of Him, or I have to purposely step myself into something where I see Him moving, in order to get near Him. Other times, God just seems to plop down right in the middle of all my “stuff” ( yeah, none of it is actually MY stuff anyway, right?) and says “Hey, come on go with ME!” It is in these times that I usually find myself “neck-deep” in the things of the Lord, and nothing makes me feel more complete.

I don’t ever propose to understand the way God works, but I do sometimes notice “cyclic” sorts of patterns in my own faith walk. BIG highs with Him, rest times…that sometimes end up headed toward distraction and being sucked up into the “world” and its stress and worries…. and if I let myself stay in that place too long, He gets things stirring again. Dry phase. Shallow prayer time, confusion, shallow preparation and worship time. …. But then… seeking God phase, crying out to Him for help, direction, and once He is pleased with the development of my heart- WHAMMO!!! We are off on some “adventure” that I never could have conjured up myself. I LOVE this about my Father!!!! In fact, each time it happens, I fall even more deeply head over heels in love with Him, and completely amazed at how He loves His children!

OK so, right now in this moment, I have been through a recent dry, painful pruning time, but a God- seeking, soul searching and growing phase is in progress, and now I find myself deeply involved with following His lead and holding His hand..and hearing His heart speak to mine very clearly through His word. Scripture is very “alive” to me right now… it seems every passage I spend any time with all has such clarity for me, and insight and wisdom. ( I can be a little dense at times in my understanding, so this is HUGE for me!) I am so grateful for how He teaches me, and moves my heart to sync it up with His own.

I John 2:28 says “And now, children, stay with Christ. Live deeply in Christ. Then we'll be ready for him when he appears, ready to receive him with open arms, with no cause for red-faced guilt or lame excuses when he arrives.” As I was reading this passage over and over, it occurred to me ( again, but with new insight) that , as His children, we each have a choice. 1- Do we continually allow the world to be what consumes us? Do we let stress swallow us whole, and get our hearts so focused on everything that will weight us down and eventually turn us away from Christ? OR… do we choose to live “deeply” in Him? Do we quickly get on our knees, confess sin, soak up His word and abide in His peace? Do we settle for living deeply in the world, with all its shallow promises , frustrations and disappointment- or do we want to strive to live deeply in the things of Jesus, and really LIVE? Why does it take me so long each time I re-learn this, to get “there”??

Webster’s dictionary gives this as a definition for “deep”: “extending far downward from a surface area- as to even penetrate.” As I was thinking about this … I realized that the world’s offerings, and its stresses and distractions are not only temporary, but they are also superficial. They are not only consuming if we allow them to be that, but they are also only meant for the surface of our lives. Not the deep, insides of us… and certainly not meant to affect (or penetrate) our hearts. That’s why, when we live for the world, when we become overwhelmed by stress, worries, or desires for worldly things, it gets harder and harder for our hearts to turn back to Jesus- we have let something affect those deep places within us that are only meant for Him.

The last thing I want to do is have to give “lame excuses” to my Father for why I was so distracted from His plans and His heart during my short time on earth. I want to be ready… joyfully ready.

Father, it’s hard to be consistent in our walks. Life does stress us out sometimes. It’s full of craziness, pain, and responsibilities that we are afraid we cannot live up to. There are people who are depending on us for everything from emotional support, to keeping a roof over their heads- and sometimes it is just overwhelming. But, Lord, Your word promises us that if we will put you first, You will meet our needs. If we depend on You, You will supply everything for us. If we turn our hearts toward You, and stay diligent and tender toward You, You will lead, guide and direct us along the path You have chosen for us. Help us to live deeply in You, Lord. Help us to seek You, to learn Your word, and to thank You for how You love and care for us. Protect us from the distractions of the world, and lead us into Your will.

In Christ’s precious and Holy name-
Amen.

1 comment:

Diane said...

I'm so glad you chose to start blogging and sharing again! This was awesome. I look forward to more.