Wednesday, July 4, 2007

The opposite game, God-style..

I just finished reading " Velvet Elvis" by Rob Bell. If you have not read this book yet.. please please go get it and read it. He is a "deep thinking kinda guy".. and he refuses the idea of a small powerless "boxed up god" that is only a part of our lives when we are doing church stuff- and the way he looks at the things of God will change your perspective for the better. Just get the book and read it!

For some reason, reading his book has set off a cycle of thoughts in my own mind and heart about my God. People ask all the time " why does this happen, or that happen, if God is all that goodness that you talk about".. you know that line of questioning. I never have a good answer for it. I don't understand it myself. I probably never will understand why some things happen here.. especially when bad things happen to babies or children. That doesn't make any sense to me at all.. and I never know what to say when anyone asks me that stuff. Which brings me to thinking of God in terms of opposites, for some reason. I don't know why, it just did. So, what follows are just some random things that have been brewing in my brain for the past few days. My desire is to think on these things and seek answers from His word, and if it spurs you on to something similar, then , that's great ..

1- When I think of and focus on the cross, Christ, and the work He did - when I keep my mind on things "above", why do I feel more grounded and secure ?

2- The more I learn about God, and His ways and His character, the more questions I have and the less I know.

3- When I am weakest, He is strongest.

4- When I come to the end of myself, that is where I seem to always find Him. Why does it have to be like that??


5- The more of "me" there is in something, the less "Him" there is. I have learned to pray " All of You, and none of me" to remind myself that everything IS about Him.

6-Some of the most sorrowful times in my life I look back on with the most joy, because I see how close the situations brought me to Him.

7- The closer I am with Him, and the more I surrender to His will, the free-er I feel.

8- The more I die to myself, the more alive I am in Christ.


This list goes on and on.. but you get the idea.

One of the things that has come to my mind as I sit here typing, is that this list illustrates how God is "ALL THINGS". He came up with the whole thing, the universe, all that is in it, each of us, our minds, how our logic ( as simple as it is) works, the whole thing is His. He is everything, He is both ends ( and all sides) of every spectrum, which is why these things make sense- even when they don't.


I love thinking of God like this.. so many facets and very colorful and all "lit up" .. I love that we serve a non-boring God!

Blessings,
Cheryl

No comments: